Friday, September 24, 2010

"unfriending"

I read an article on CNN.com recently that discussed when one should “unfriend” someone on Facebook. It listed examples of ex-significant others, co-workers, parents, etc. all with great reasons of when it’s time to let go of some Facebook or social media/internet relationships. I’ve often been an advocate of “unfriending” ex’s or friends that have become enemies because I believe avenues such as Facebook allow an unhealthy and almost obsessive following of people. It’s almost like gossip when you can spy on an ex without them knowing and keeps their life fresh in your eyes when you should really just let go and move on. For whatever reason, the relationship is over and even if it wasn’t a negative ending, it still can’t be healthy to have silent access to their lives. Life’s just too short to spend it Facebook stalking people with whom you have nothing to do with.

My question is, however, when is it right to “unfriend” people in our 20-something lives? I’m not talking about online; I’m talking about people who have played an integral part in our lives who we’ve simply moved apart from. Friendships change drastically in our 20s with many softly coming to a close just because. Whether you move away, change jobs, get a girlfriend/boyfriend, or just change interests, sometimes people just change friendship interests. When do you let go?

I’m sure if you look back to your high school friend list the names you’ll find are ones of people you have not seen, much less thought about for years. Why? While a few of those friendships may have ended abruptly over an argument or misunderstanding I’m sure you didn’t make enemies out of you the majority of your high school class. But what happened? Was there an official friendship ending ceremony where you said your goodbyes? Doubtful. I think a large part of your 20s is figuring out who your real friends are. By “real” I don’t mean that those who don’t make the cut aren’t good enough, but that in reality life is just too busy to accommodate a large list of close friends. Between school, work, falling in love, kids, families and the other many things we do as 20-somethings there is no way to balance genuine, healthy friendships with a huge amount of people. So, we weed some out.

My closest friends can tell you that I’m a very loyal person. I do what I say I will do and I’ll get your back whenever you ask and even when you might not be brave enough to ask. I fight for people and I fight for my friends, but sometimes even as hard as I fight, I just don’t get what I need back from a friend. That’s my hint that maybe it’s time to let it go. Sometimes it’s hard, especially when it’s someone who I’ve shared many memories with and that I one day thought I’d die without. But it’s normal and really, it’s healthy.

There are also friends that it’s okay to only see once a year but just because you don’t connect regularly doesn’t mean you’re not real friends. I have a couple of really special friends who I see very rarely but I can pick up conversation with the minute we’re together. I don’t even try to call them in between meetings and some of them I don’t even have contact information for. It is still a genuine and wonderful friendship and I am thrilled ever time I see them. I’m also not offended when they don’t contact me.

Even with this suggestion of choosing your friends wisely, I think this can be done too extremely for some. Example: how many friends of yours have up and vanished the minute they became attached to their significant other? I used to hate each time my friends got engaged because even though I’d receive an invitation to the wedding, I never again experienced my friendship with that person in the same way again. Recently, I’ve been very spoiled because several of my “real” friends have been on the flip side of this process and made it a point to stay true to their pre-marriage friendships (for this I am very grateful). Gaining a spouse or partner won’t alleviate one’s need for friends; in fact, friendships are a really wonderful support for marriages, old and new. So even if you’re in love, don’t forget about us out here.

I guess what I’ve learned is this: as we grow up and priorities change, we should keep friends but not too many. Be loyal to those you call your friends, regardless of how far away they move or how much their lives may change. Those who haven’t shown an interest in you for a time have simply moved on so let them go; you’re still a good friend but some times it’s not worth fighting for.

I’m lucky to have a lot of friends, old and new. I also have a million memories with people who I haven’t seen or spoken to in years. These memories make up who I am and who I will continue to become. To my friends of today, yesterday and tomorrow: thanks. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Too true my dear. Especially your ode to those that might have ventured on, or you have ventured on from. You never know what the future holds (look at our friendship, for example), but some friendships aren't forever; they might just be for now.

Kristin said...

Given that I've moved several hundred miles away from my hometown, in a much longer-term capacity than I originally guessed when I first left (although you predicted exactly what would happen- you'd be helping me plan my wedding within a year of me leaving!), this is one of the biggest and most complicated issues that I face constantly. Which friendships should I fight for? Who will I realistically stay in touch with years from now? How do my husband and I become friends with each other's friends? What are my friends' expectations of the level of communication we have if we don't live near each other? Arg!

I have lost several friendships in the last couple of years simply because there is not enough time in the day, and I would rather take the little time I do have to make those fewer close friendships a really meaningful and constant part of my life. I'd rather make one great memory with you than spend that same time catching up with ten people superficially.

All that is to say, I don't know where I'll be in ten years or what my local community will be like, but I hope and expect that you and I will still be close at heart.

Thanks for a great post!

Soulllfulvirgo said...

Just found your blog. I can really relate to this post - drifted apart from a good friend post-university life, and at first it was very hard. But I am beginning to understand it was critical for my own self-growth!